Tonaquint Intermediate, established in 2007, is a beautiful, well-kept school nestled in a newly developing neighborhood between Tonaquint Park, Southgate Golf Course, and the back road to Bloomington. The school serves grades 6 and 7, with a student population of 730 students. The community enthusiastically supports school activities and programs.
- The school currently serves about 730 students on a traditional nine-month calendar.
- The school day begins at 7:45 a.m. and ends at 2:00 p.m.
- The teacher/pupil ratio is 1 to 32.
- The Tonaquint staff is an outstanding group of professionals. All teachers hold bachelors’ degrees, and many have higher degrees and endorsements as well.
- All teachers, as well as the principal, are evaluated on a regular basis to help assure educational quality and professional development.
- The curriculum meets all district and state requirements.
- Teachers work in teams called Professional Learning Communities, analyzing and interpreting data to meet the needs of the students.
- A nutritious, hot lunch program is provided.
- Teachers provide many and varied activities to display student talents, interests and leadership/social skills.
- There is a principal’s advisory committee (PAC), a team of students within the school that is administered in behalf of the students by the school Principal.
- School visitors are always welcome, and are asked to stop by the office to pick up a visitor’s pass.
- Tonaquint students are expected to follow district dress guidelines and other district policies regarding safety and appropriate behavior.
- Students are expected to learn self-discipline and to assume responsibility for their own behavior.
- Resource programs, speech, and guidance services are available.
- Tonaquint is home to special needs students ranging from mild/moderate to severe.
- Tonaquint students are learning to use computers to increase basic skills in technology.
- PTA and School Community Council organizations enrich school programs, give input on school issues, and provide many hours of volunteer service.
- Other notables include a Science Fair, Choir, Geography Bee, Hershey’s Track Meet etc.